Wednesday, January 27, 2010

An introduction

I moved into my first solo apartment in DC in November 2009. Never having lived by myself before one of the things I was MOST excited to do was to get a little kitteh of my very own. I grew up with cats and I think they're good companions because sometimes they could really use a hug, but other times "eh, could I just nap?" And I DIG that attitude.

After the holidays I geared up my search process. I surfed the interwebz and checked out all the cat rescues and agencies in my 'hood. My main reaction was "Hmp, that's a lot of rules." In the past my family always just found our cats. "Hey kitty, you want some food? How about a collar?" This whole application process complete with home visits was not for me.

Then one night out with my friends I was told we had a friend-of-a-friend who found a cat who just had kittens. "BINGO!" I thought. This is the perfect solution. I found out that she was healthy, and cute, and just 10 weeks old. The only hitch, I was told, was she wasn't quite adjusted to people yet. "Meh, she's young, I'll just give her some treats, hug her, squeeze her, love her, and we'll be golden."

Fast forward one week, I have the kitten chez moi and I realize: I just adopted BASEMENT CAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment