Friday, January 29, 2010

The first attempt at Hug Therapy

By January 22 I'd had Little Miss Chicory for 6 days. Mom and I were concerned that she wasn't warming up to me. My parents both asked regularly after her wanting to know how things were going. My Mom also frequently sent articles on taming farel cats and kittens. One of the articles described what I now call "hug therapy." I love this article for many reasons - but mostly because it tells you to hug-rape the cat. And I quote: "Even if the animal doesn't seem to be enjoying the attention, she is. Hold the cat by the scruff of the neck if she attempts to leave." How good is that?!


I decided I had to do this. When I got home from work I tried to lure her into a false sense of comfort by giving her kitty treats. However as soon as she saw me stick my hand under the bed her ears flattened and she started hissing. I left the treat under there and of course she ate it. Hypocrite!

Later, as I sat on my bed, quiet, reading I saw her sneak out from under the bed and poke her head around, obviously trying to figure out where I was. I didn't want to freak her out, but I did think it would be a great time to get another picture of her. Knowing the iPhone (oh sorry, let me pick up that name I just dropped) makes a stupid shutter sound when you take a picture, I switched my phone from "on" to silent. Unfortunately she heard the phone vibrate and whipped around with terror in her eyes. She saw me sitting there and she darted back under the bed.

Potty needs must have won out though, because not too long afterwards I heard her in the kitchen scratching around in the litter box. No better time than the present to try hug therapy, right? I snuck out of my room and closed the door behind me. As soon as I rounded the corner to the kitchen she saw me and flipped out. Poop and litter went flying everywhere. She darted for the bedroom but finding the door closed she boomeranged around for a few minutes, hissing the whole time, as I stood still and tried to be non-threatening. Eventually she darted to the fridge and then BEHIND it. Obviously, there was nothing I could do at that point so I went to bed. After a little while I heard her come out and eat the food I'd left out.

But now, knowing where her super-awesome hiding spot is, I definitely have the upper hand. Kitteh-2, Caroline-2

No comments:

Post a Comment